Sunday, January 30, 2011

Demolished house

The land originally belonged to my grandfather who had all the documents of this land. After 18 years of occupancy, other people started claiming that I was illegally there till the day they sent me away. It was a Friday morning at around 6:30am. I was in my living room having breakfast when I heard a grader driving into my compound and within a minute, I had people banging the house. When I asked why they were going on with the demolition, they told me that they were going on with what the court had told them to do. The fact is that I did not have a chance to rescue all my property because I was afraid that they would kill me while trying to save my belongings from damage. I had nowhere to go that very day apart from shifting the little things I had saved to my parents’ home that was not far away from where I used to stay. My uncle and I took the case to court but unfortunately, he passed away in 2009 and the person we reported for having taken the land also passed away last year. The lawyer I was using also travelled to America, I do not know when he will come back because he doesn’t communicate anymore. The person I asked recently told me that even if the accuser and the person accused passed away, I can still pursue the case so that I get compensated. I have no lawyer to trust because even the one I had trusted at first disappeared without helping me. I have been going through the hassle of taking care of my children and paying rent of Shs250,000 per month. Sometimes I ask myself, if I died, what would happen to my children especially the boys? At least the girls can get married, but still they also need a family home.

0 comments:

Post a Comment